Thursday, April 02, 2015

Editing (the process + reflections)

Today I finally finished editing my film opening. 

For me, this was definitely the hardest part about the entire process because I am not very proficient in editing and it takes me a really long time to get simple things done. I was scared something completely insane would happen like I would lose all of my video or I wouldn't be able to arrange them like I wanted.

When I first began editing earlier this week, I ran into the problem that no computer in my house had editing software, so I had to borrow my dad's laptop. I began editing on iMovie and I started by making a rough edit where I put all the clips I had filmed in order. 

After that, I proceeded to cut them so that they would flow well and added opening credits and the title. 

The hardest part of my editing process was that I had to subtitle my entire opening. Because it is supposed to be a Venezuelan foreign film, all the audio/dialogue was in Spanish. It took me a good few hours to find a font that resembled conventional subtitles (if you're curious, Gill Sans in Bold Italic with a black outline does the trick) and it also was quite the task to time them properly with what the actors were saying. 

I added the background music I got permission to use from Rhye, rerecorded the audio for one of the actors and then added some transitions. 

I came into editing expecting lots of gridlock between me and technology, and even though there were certain setbacks it was overall a really awesome learning process. I feel like all the practice I had with iMovie and editing in general for the film opening will benefit me for my short film. 

Having to rely on myself to edit showed me that I can definitely do it and that it's actually very gratifying and enjoyable once you get the hang of it. I look forward to other editing endeavors in the future :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment